Thursday, March 29, 2018

Review: Wonderblood: A Novel

Wonderblood: A Novel Wonderblood: A Novel by Julia Whicker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The United States has been ravaged by a disease called Bent Head that has decimated millions. Over the years, the survivors have started worshiping NASA’s former space shuttles and their Mecca is Cape Canaveral. There are many prophecies that appear to be coming true and science is no longer accepted because everyone believes in magic, including human sacrifices. One prophecy appears to be about a young girl who is now being forced to marry and become a queen. Unfortunately, there are other queens who aren’t willing to give up power and they won’t go away quietly.

Wonderblood appears to be a stand-alone novel, which is a good thing. The larger story had the promise of something different, but the side stories that were used were ridiculous and not captivating. I kept waiting for the story to pull out of its funk and make me love it, but it never happened. This is Whicker’s debut novel, so I feel I should give some grace, but I also can’t recommend this book to any of my readers. I will give her another try, as long as it is not part of this storyline.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment