Saturday, January 13, 2024

Review: The Women

The Women The Women by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Frances has finally become a nurse and is feeling underwhelmed with the menial tasks she is asked to do.  Her father has always spoken highly of the men in the family who have served in the military and when she learns that the Vietnam War needs nurses … she signs up.  All she has under her belt is her schooling, but war is a fast teacher and she becomes a very competent trauma nurse.  War might be hard, but Frances quickly learns that coming home has its own problems.  Those who are protesting the war are also protesting the veterans.  When she asks for help for her nightmares, first she is told that only men were in Vietnam … then she is told that she didn’t see combat and didn’t need services.

The Women is a historical fiction story that had me shaking my head at some of the actions of the supportive characters.  I don’t know if that is because we are 50+ years after these events or if it is because I am a female who served in the military during the 1990s.  This book is great to read by yourself, but I also think this would make an excellent book club book so readers have a platform to discuss the varied issues.  I don’t give many books 5 stars … but this one is definitely a 2024 5-star book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment