Friday, August 20, 2021

Review: Redeeming Justice: From Defendant to Defender, My Fight for Equity on Both Sides of a Broken System

Redeeming Justice: From Defendant to Defender, My Fight for Equity on Both Sides of a Broken System Redeeming Justice: From Defendant to Defender, My Fight for Equity on Both Sides of a Broken System by Jarrett Adams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jarrett Adams was seventeen years old when he went to a college party in Wisconsin. He was with friends and they all had fun. They even had sex with the same girl. Afterward, they continued to hang out and then returned to their homes in Chicago. That pivotal moment defined the rest of Jarrett’s life. Through a series of events, Adams is sentenced to 28 years for rape. He tries to get help for his case, but it turns out he must help himself by learning about his rights. This process leads him to the Wisconsin Innocence Project and his conviction being overturned … ten years later.

Redeeming Justice is a non-fiction memoir that is a must-read for all people no matter their age, race, or gender. The issues discussed within the pages will shine a spotlight on flaws in our criminal justice system as well as our country in general. I am the first to admit that I am a middle-aged white woman, but I work in a minority-majority high school and see many students who could easily fall into the criminal justice system without a way out. I highly recommend Redeeming Justice to all teens and adults.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment